Île de la Tortue

From TLP
Revision as of 18:19, 24 September 2005 by Doe (talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

Ile de la Tortue - also La Tortue (transl. Turtle Island) is located nort of Port de Paix and belongs to Haiti. Pirates active in the Caribbean sea, started using the island as a base around 1600. In 1802, two years before the final victory of the Haitian revolution, many French flee to the island to escape the conflict and a yellow fever epidemic.

Together with Ille de la Gonave, La Tortue belongs to Haitii's main offshore territories.