Île de la Tortue

From TLP
Jump to: navigation, search
Map of La Tortue and the area of Port-de-Paix.
Ile de la Tortue - (also La Tortue, Kreyòl: Totu; English: Tortuga Island - tortuga is Spanish for turtle; Spanish: Isla Tortuga) is located north of Port de Paix and belongs to Haiti. The island (20°04'N 72°49') off Haiti's North coast on the Atlantic Ocean is about 181 sq km (70 sq mi) in size.

Pirates active in the Caribbean Sea, started using the island as a base around 1600. In 1802, two years before the final victory of the Haitian revolution, many French fled to the island to escape the conflict and a yellow fever epidemic.

Together with Ille de la Gonave, La Tortue belongs to Haiti's main offshore territories, it is seperated from mainland Haiti by the Canal de la Tortue.

References

  • Tortuga. The Columbia Gazetteer of North America, edited by Saul B. Cohen. New York: Columbia University Press, 2000. [1] [accessed May 15, 2006].