- February 2 The poem To Toussaint Louverture by Wordsworth is published in London.
- April 7 Toussaint Louverture dies in French captivity at Fort de Joux.
- April 8 Toussaint's post-mortem examination is carried out.
- April 30 The Louisiana Purchase Treaty is signed.
- May 14 The Congress of Arcahaie starts in the coastal town of Arcahaie.
- May 18 The Haitian Flag is created by Catherine Flon.
- The Generals of the southern army form an alliance with Jean-Jacques Dessalines at Camp Gérard, near the town of Les Cayes.
- On October 20 the United States Congress ratifies the The Louisiana Purchase Treaty.
- November 18 The Haitian Revolutionaries led by Jean-Jacques Dessalines win the Battle of Vertières against the French troops commanded by Rochambeau, who soon after concede defeat.
- November 30 Jean-Jacques Dessalines becomes the Governor General of Saint-Domingue, he holds that post until the Declaration of Independence in 1804, when the French colony ceases to exist.
- The last French troops leave Saint-Domingue.
- The Haitian Declaration of Independence is drafted into it's final version