AprilHaiti in return for the crushing assessment of 150 million francs, payment for the expelled French planters' losses in St. Domingue/Haiti. This sum represents a multiple of the value of the entire Haitian economy at the time.
Haiti, under President Alexandre Pétion is pressured into to paying 150 million gold francs to France as a compensation for French slave-owners for their “financial losses” as a result of the abolition of slavery in Haiti. In exchange, France agrees to recognize Haiti’s independence, 21 years after Jean-Jacques Dessalines had freed Haiti from colonial domination and French slavery. The amount will be reduced later to 90 million gold francs, but it will take the Haitian government over 100 years to pay off this debt and it will be French banks that profit immensely from the financing of the payments to France.
The Haitian payments to France cripple the economy, that already had to struggle with a deteriorating sugar and other commodities market and a transition into a post slavery society.
Currently there are efforts under way to demand re-compensation from France.
- Adams, H. G. (Editor). (1854). God's Image in Ebony: Being a Series of Biographical Sketches, Facts, Anecdotes, etc., Demonstrative of the Mental Powers and Intellectual Capacities of the Negro Race Chapel Hill, NC: Academic Affairs Library, UNC-CH. Online Publication. (p. 15-31)
- Beard, J. R. (John Relly) (1863). Toussaint L'Ouverture: A Biography and Autobiography. Chapel Hill, NC: Academic Affairs Library, UNC-CH. Online Publication
- Schoelcher, Victor (1889). Vie de Toussaint Louverture. Paris: Paul Ollendorf. (Available online: Google books) 1882 reprint: Karthala. Paris ISBN 2-86537-043-7
- Schutt-Ainé, Patricia; Haiti: A Basic Reference Book. Miami, Florida: Librairie Au Service de la Culture, p. 38. ISBN 0-9638599-0-0.
- Aristide And The Endless Revolution - Documentary about the ouster of Haitian President Aristide, touching on his efforts to obtain reparations from France.
- Ordonnance de Charles X - (French text)
- 17 avril 1825: La France reconnaît Haïti, contre l'indemnisation des planteurs - (French text)
- Louverture, Isaac and Métral, Antoine. Histoire de l'expédition des Français à Saint-Domingue sous le consulat de Napoléon Bonaparte (1825). Paris: Fanjat Ainé. Available online (Google Books). (French text)