A Haitian Revolution Primer
Timeline a useful resource as you read. Also check out the List of Books for in-depth resources.
- Start with An Overview of the Haitian Revolution to get the satellite picture of the period.
Read about the major figures of the revolution...
- Toussaint Louverture, this former slave became the leading general and statesman of the revolution.
- Léger Félicité Sonthonax, a French Commissioner who freed 15,000 slaves in 1793.
- Comte de Laveaux, French Governor-General of Saint-Domingue, a close friend of Toussaint.
- Jean Jacques Dessalines, a general in the rebel army, he would become the first leader of Haiti.
- Henry Christophe, rebel general, he would later become Emperor of Haiti.
- André Rigaud, leader of the mulattos during the rebellion.
- Charles Victor Emmanuel Leclerc, Napoléon Bonaparte's brother-in-law, leader of the expedition to retake Saint-Domingue and re-institute slavery.
Continue with major events of the revolution...
- The Boukman Rebellion
- Rise of Toussaint
- Toussaint's Volte Face
- Toussaint's 1801 Constitution
- Leclerc's Secret Orders
- Haitian Independence
Finish with such perspectives as...
- The Revolution and the Louisiana Purchase
- Haiti and America during the Quasi War
- Haiti's impact on the Atlantic and the Caribbean
- The legacy of the revolution
- Common Misconceptions about the Revolution
- List of Historical Documents
- List of Rulers