List of Websites
- 1 Visual Arts
- 2 Authors
- 3 Culture: Dance, Food, Music and More
- 4 General Resources
- 5 History, General
- 6 History, Revolutionary
- 7 International Community and Haiti
- 8 Maps
- 9 Miscellaneous
- 10 Missions, Foundations and Human Rights Organizations
- 11 Online Books
- 12 Online Groups and Mailing Lists
- 13 Politics
- 14 Periodicals, Magazines, Newspapers and Broadcast Media
- 15 Stores
- 16 Travel and Tours
- 17 Vodou
Audio and Video
- YouTube: Black August 2004 by Mumia Abu Jamal (audio/video) - Read by Mr. Jamal, set to music track and images of war.
- Black August 2004 by Mumia Abu Jamal (text version) - Mumia Abu Jamal comments on the Haitian Revolution culminating in the events of 1804(2004).
- ArtMedia Haiti - The Center of Haitian Art. Some art is available for purchase online.
- Arts of Haiti - Arts of Haiti provides a sales point for several artists working in and near Cap Haitien.
- Carrie Art Collection - art collectors in Petion-Ville. The web site has a collection of images online.
- FOSAJ - Fanal Otantik Sant D'A Jakmel - Art center in Jacmel hosting artists studios, performance space, workshops, cultural events, and visiting artist residencies.
- Landau Traveling Exhibitions: Toussaint Louverture Series by Jacob Lawrence - Prints by the late Jacob Lawrence with accompanying text.
- Toussaint Louverture Series by Jacob Lawrence - Just the (larger) images of the Lawrence prints.
- Laurent Valere - Martinique based artist who painted a series centered on Haitian national hero Charlemagne Péralte.
- Caribbean Passion: Haiti: 1804 - Series of paintings London-based artist, Kimathi Donkor to celebrate Haiti's bicentenary.
- Grabado Latinoamericano: Linocut illustrations from Damballah's House a novel by Petion Savain. Haiti 1939.
- Opus Focus - has a wonderful collection of photographs by Daniel Kedar from Haiti and elsewhere.
- Leah Gordon Photography - Images of Haitian vodou.
- Haiti Dream Keeper Archives: Images from Haiti's National Palace website from President Aristide's second administration
- Kesler Pierre's photo galleries - Images from Haiti.
- Web site of the author Jean Métellus - (In French)
Culture: Dance, Food, Music and More
- Mapou Productions - Promoting Haitian culture throughout the world.
Food and Drinks
- Haitian Recipes and Cooking Tips - Info on everythinghaitian.com
- Rhum Barbancourt - Website of the world-renown rum distillery.
- Rum review: Rhum Barbancourt Réserve Spéciale 8 Years - From refinedvices.com.
- Haitian Rhums and Clairin - Information from therumelier.com.
Music and Dance
Dance & Haitian Drumming
- The Ezilidanto Spoken Word Dance Theater
- La Troupe Makandal - traditional Afro-Haitian music and dance with master drummer Frisner Augustin, based in New York City.
- Photographs of Tonel Lakay performing - Images by Dominique Esser.
- Information about Haitian Music
- Haiti’s Super Web Directory Emmanuel W. Vedrine’s big list of links.
- Haiti Forum - a link portal promoting Haiti and Haitian culture.
- Haiti Info Bi-lingual blog-style list of news reports and other articles.
- Haiti-Référence French – a wealth of information on Haiti past and present, including the text of Toussaint's Constitution of 1801.
.* Haiti Support Group – Very accessible web site with news for travelers, event updates, and a brief summary of famous Haitians.
- InterMedia - Big, good looking site, lots of Haiti links. Especially check out the Haiti Global Village, a bilingual online community of Haitians
- Journal of Haitian Studies - Part of the Center for Black Studies, this is the "official publication of the Haitian Studies Association," a refereed scholarly journal.
- Kreyol.com - Excellent site by artist Hertz Nazaire. Includes a Creole dictionary online. Check out the new book - Revolution 1804-2004.
- Kreyol Belle – articles and pictures from living in Haiti, including a translation of an 1871 tour of the country, introductions to St Mark, Ti Riviere et Kenscoff.
- Latin American Network Information Center's Haiti Page - a portal page with many good links.
- Multicultural Florida - Long list of links suffers from lack of organization.
- Soul in a Bottle – Madison Smartt Bell's "work in progress about contemporary Haiti."
- Windows on Haiti – Huge resource of links to news, views, arts, and culture.
- The Creole Clearinghouse - a lengthy page of links to Haiti-related resources in Creole, English and French.
- Haitian Creole Dictionary - Haitian Creole, English, French and Spanish online dictionary.
- Haitian Creole to English Dictionary - Webster's Online Dictionary.
- Haitian Creole language - Wikipedia page about the Haitian Creole language.
- Kreyòl Wikipedia Pages - Paj Prensipal - Portal for Wikipedia pages in Kreyòl.
- Vedrine Creole Project - List of essays, articles, and other resources - all in Creole.
- General Information:
- Governments on the World Wide Web - Haiti A page of vital links.
- Konstitisyon Repiblik d Ayiti 1987 -- an kreyòl - 1887 version of the Haitian constitution (Haitian Creole text)
- Georgetown University -Political Database of the Americas: Republic of Haiti Constitutions - (French and English text)
- Embassies and Consulates:
- Embassy of the Republic of Haiti in Washington D.C – Search the Documentation section for Haitian political documents and texts of old speeches.
- Banque de République de Haïti - Haitian National Bank.
- Augusta Elmwood's Saint-Domingue page – Excellent collection of bibliographical and geneological resouces.
- Bob Corbett's Haiti Page – A top-notch collection of resources on Haiti. See especially links to the Haiti Mailing List and Corbett’s essays on the revolutionary period.
- Haiti - A Country Study - A book on Haiti from the Library of Congress. Includes history. Mirrored here.
- Haiti almanac info from World Statesmen - Includes flags, lists of governors, prime ministers, etc.
- The Haitian Revolution - University of Albany pathfinder site full of links and resources.
- Historical Chronology of Haiti - from the Combined Arms Research Library.
- The History of the Republic of Haiti, Hartford Web Publishing - HWP has a huge collection of historical documents in its online archives, including these about Haiti.
- Poles in Haiti - Web site recounting the fate of the Polish soldiers sent by Napoléon Bonaparte, many of which sided with the Haitian revolutionaries.
- Rulers.org - a complete list of Haiti's rulers from 1691 to the present.
- Center for History and New Media (George Mason U.) and American Social History Project (City U. of New York):
Liberty, Equality, Fraternity: Exploring the French Revolution - over 600 documents relating to the French Revolution.
- Haiti - SourceWatch - Wiki webpages by the Center for Media & Democracy, dedicated to "produce a directory of the people, organizations and issues shaping the public agenda".
Haiti and the U.S.A.
- Haitian American Historical Society - Leads a project to honor those Haitians who fought for U.S. Independence at the Siege of Savannah in 1779.
- Haiti & the USA - Linked by History and Community – Haitian history, with special focus on Haiti's intersections with the US. This website is run by Dr. Bob Maguire of the Trinity College Haiti Program.
- Inquiry Into Occupation and Administration of Haiti and The Dominican Republic - 1922 Senate report on the U.S. occupation of Haiti and the Dominican Republic.
- Quasi War documents at the Avalon Project - American historical documents relating to the Quasi-War with France, including the 1799 proclamation regarding U.S. trade with St. Domingo.
- Glossary of the French Revolution at Wikipedia.
- Haitian American Historical Society - primary movers behind the proposed Savannah monument to Haitians in the American Revolution.
- John Garrigus Homepage – Garrigus is a professor and author. His site includes translations of primary texts and PDFs of some of Garrigus's publications.
- The Toussaint Table - at Chicken Bones has a collection of links to essays and articles on Haiti.
- University of Albany Haitian Revolution pathfinder - English-language sources of "frequently mentioned texts, encyclopedias, bibliographies, biographical sources, indexes and abstracts, and links to Web resources."
International Community and Haiti
- COHA - Council on Hemispheric Affairs. Periodically publishes articles on Haiti
- MICIVIH - OAS/UN International Mission in Haiti
- OAS's Situation In Haiti - Documents, speeches, and press releases from the Organization of American States
- Embassy - Haiti - See the link at the bottom of the page on International Policy towards Haiti.
- See the Haiti Maps page
- Gays and lesbians in Haiti - Webpage dealing with aspects of being a homosexual within Haitian society.
- Weather in Port-au-Prince - Includes five day forecast.
Missions, Foundations and Human Rights Organizations
- Haitian American Ministries - works with organizations and individuals in various cities within the United States and the Caribbean, particularly in Haiti.
- EDEM Foundation - Provides access to opportunities for the children of Haiti through sustainable education, agriculture, farming and community development.
- Haitian American Foundation - serving Haitian Americans in South Florida.
- Healing Hands for Haiti - Volunteer organization to bring rehabilitative medicine to Haitians. Also operates a guest house.
- Institute for Justice and Democracy in Haiti – provides legal and other support for democracy and human rights issues.
- Project Teach Haiti – provides training for Haitian teachers and administrators.
- Sant La - a Haitian Neighborhood Center serving the Haitian-American community of South Florida.
Human Rights Organizations
- Haiti A Slave Revolution - Collection of essays and excerpts reviewing Haiti's history and political situation to 2004. Most of the content is available Online (also available in print: ISBN ISBN 097475210X ).
- Papa Toussaint, historical novel by C. Richard Gillespie. (also available in print: ISBN 1583481249 ).
- Reflections on the Life and Times of Toussaint L'Overture... - Online edition of a book by David Augustus Straker (1886. Columbia, SC: Charles A. Calvo Jr.)
- Histoire de l'expédition des Français à Saint-Domingue sous le consulat de Napoléon Bonaparte by Isaac Louverture and Antoine Métral. (1825). Paris: Fanjat Ainé. Available online (Google Books). (French text)
Online Groups and Mailing Lists
- Bob Corbett's Mailing List on Haiti - a moderated list with articles, current events, and discussion.
- Kreyol Yahoo!Group
Note that The Louverture Project does not endorse any of these sites or their views. The links are provided solely as a reference.
- Political organizations:
- Hayti.net website of political party La Fanmi Lavalas. (Englisch, French and Creole)
- Activist Organizations:
- Haiti Democracy Project - US organization which advocates for "more effecive U.S. policy toward Haiti". Widely denounced as anti-Haitian right wing group.
- Haiti Support Group - Very accessible web site with links for travel, events, and more from this U.K. based group.
- Institute for Research in the Science of Politics - Interesting site. Self-professed Haiti-focused interest group, contains news analysis, essays, and poetry (!).
- Organization of American States' Dec. 17 report - OAS report of the Commission of Inquiry into the events of December 17, 2001 in Haiti.
Periodicals, Magazines, Newspapers and Broadcast Media
- Boston Haitian Reporter - a monthly English language newspaper "with an editorial emphasis on the Haitian-American experience in Greater Boston and the United States."
- Haïti Progrès - weekly newspaper offering coverage of Haiti from a left perspective. Mostly French and Haitian Creole pages, some English content.
- Haïti en Marche - Florida based French language Haitian newspaper with a left of center perspective.
- Haitian Times - weekly full-color conservative newspaper (New York based) offering English coverage of Haiti and Haitian Americans.
- Miami Herald Haiti News Page - Aggregated page of Haiti news, including on-the-scene reports from Michael A.W. Ottey and a special report on the Bicentennial.
Radio Stations and Programs
- Haiti Show - Streaming live over the airwaves and the internet from non-commercial Pacifica Radio station KPFT 90.1 FM in Houston, Texas.
- Lakou New York - Haitian left of center Radio station broadcasting in Haitian Creole from Brooklyn, NY.
- Radio Soleil d'Haïti - 24 hour Haitian radio station with a left of center perspective, broadcasting from Brooklyn, NY.
Internet based News about Haiti
- Caribbean Net News - Haiti news from Caribbean Net News based in the Cayman Islands. Articles often from Agence France Presse.
- Kevin Sites in the Hot Zone - Haiti - "Backpack journalist" Kevin Sites' documentary feature series on Haiti.
- Haiti Books sells books, CDs, videos, and art.
Travel and Tours
- Haiti Travel Guide - from Wikitravel.
- Haiti Travels provides an impressive range of services to the first-time traveler. They also have ambitious plans for a historical park.
- Traveling Haiti – Plan a trip to Haiti and pick up a little Haitian Kreyol.
- Travel 2 Haiti - Gives basic information on Haitian towns and tourist destinations.
- Vodoun Culture - Information about many aspects of Haitian culture related to Vodou, as well as information about Haiti's major religion itself.
- La Médiathèque Caraïbe: Vodou music in Haiti - Information and background on Haitian Vodou music by Dr. Lois Wilcken, the Executive Director of La Troupe Mackandal.