Port de Paix
The area around the town was given the name Valparaíso by Christopher Columbus and his crew after landing here on December 6, 1492 and still has many attractive beaches and other sites of interest. A ferry operates between the town and Tortuga Island (La Tortue) situated just to the North of the town.
Port de Paix. was founded in 1665 by French pirates, driven from La Tortue by the British occupiers. In 1679 the town saw one of the first recorded slave revolts, led by Padre Jean. During the 19th century the area prospered, but in 1902 the town was almost entirely destroyed by fire, and never attained its former status.
Birthplace of CapoisFrançois Capois a leader of the Haitian Revolution.
Capois takes Port-dePaix from Napoléon's army
On April 12, 1803 Capois storms Port-de-Paix and routs the French army. (Léger p. 140)
- Memoir of Toussaint Louverture, Written by Himself - The biographical notes of Toussaint Louverture contain several passages dealing with Port-de-Paix.
- Léger, Jacques Nicolas. Haiti Her History And Her Detractors. (1907). The Neale Publishing Company. New York. available online - Accessed on August 16, 2007
- Port-de-Paix The Columbia Gazetteer of North America, edited by Saul B. Cohen. New York: Columbia University Press, 2000.  . [accessed April 11, 2006]
- Wikipedia contributors (2006). Port-de-Paix. Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 09:17, April 11, 2006 .
- Sattelite image of Port de Paix - 2004 (PDF file)