Difference between revisions of "Île de la Tortue"

From TLP
Jump to: navigation, search
m (added spelling variant)
m (added map)
Line 1: Line 1:
'''Ile de la Tortue''' - (also ''La Tortue'', English: ''Tortuga Island'') (transl.''Turtle Island'') is located north of [[Port de Paix]] and belongs to [[Haiti]]. Pirates active in the [[Caribbean Sea]], started using the island as a base around 1600. In [[1802]], two years before the final victory of the Haitian revolution, many French fled to the island to escape the conflict and a [[yellow fever epidemic]].
+
[[image:port_de_paix_area_map.jpg|right|thumb|420px|Map of La Tortue and the area of Port-de-Paix.]]'''Ile de la Tortue''' - (also ''La Tortue'', English: ''Tortuga Island'') (transl.''Turtle Island'') is located north of [[Port de Paix]] and belongs to [[Haiti]]. Pirates active in the [[Caribbean Sea]], started using the island as a base around 1600. In [[1802]], two years before the final victory of the Haitian revolution, many French fled to the island to escape the conflict and a [[yellow fever epidemic]].
  
Together with Ille de la Gonave, La Tortue belongs to Haiti's main offshore territories.
+
Together with Ille de la Gonave, La Tortue belongs to Haiti's main offshore territories, it is seperated from mainland Haiti by the Canal de la Tortue.
  
 
[[Category: Places of the Haitian Revolution|Tortue, Ile de la]]
 
[[Category: Places of the Haitian Revolution|Tortue, Ile de la]]

Revision as of 16:37, 5 May 2006

Map of La Tortue and the area of Port-de-Paix.
Ile de la Tortue - (also La Tortue, English: Tortuga Island) (transl.Turtle Island) is located north of Port de Paix and belongs to Haiti. Pirates active in the Caribbean Sea, started using the island as a base around 1600. In 1802, two years before the final victory of the Haitian revolution, many French fled to the island to escape the conflict and a yellow fever epidemic.

Together with Ille de la Gonave, La Tortue belongs to Haiti's main offshore territories, it is seperated from mainland Haiti by the Canal de la Tortue.