Difference between revisions of "Île de la Tortue"

From TLP
Jump to: navigation, search
m (name in Kreyòl)
m (spelling)
 
(2 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
[[image:port_de_paix_area_map.jpg|right|thumb|420px|Map of '''La Tortue''' and the area of Port-de-Paix.]]'''Ile de la Tortue''' - (also ''La Tortue'', [[Kreyòl]]: ''Totu''; English: ''Tortuga Island'') (transl.''Turtle Island'') is located north of [[Port de Paix]] and belongs to [[Haiti]]. Pirates active in the [[Caribbean Sea]], started using the island as a base around 1600. In [[1802]], two years before the final victory of the Haitian revolution, many French fled to the island to escape the conflict and a [[yellow fever epidemic]].
+
[[image:port_de_paix_area_map.jpg|right|thumb|420px|Map of '''La Tortue''' and the area of Port-de-Paix.]]'''Ile de la Tortue''' - (also ''La Tortue'', [[Kreyòl]]: ''Totu''; English: ''Tortuga Island'' - tortuga is Spanish for turtle; Spanish: ''Isla Tortuga'') is located north of [[Port de Paix]] and belongs to [[Haiti]]. The island (20°04'N 72°49') off Haiti's North coast on the Atlantic Ocean is about 181 sq km (70 sq mi) in size.
 +
 
 +
Pirates active in the [[Caribbean Sea]], started using the island as a base around 1600. In [[1802]], two years before the final victory of the Haitian revolution, many French fled to the island to escape the conflict and a [[yellow fever epidemic]].
  
 
Together with Ille de la Gonave, La Tortue belongs to Haiti's main offshore territories, it is seperated from mainland Haiti by the Canal de la Tortue.
 
Together with Ille de la Gonave, La Tortue belongs to Haiti's main offshore territories, it is seperated from mainland Haiti by the Canal de la Tortue.
  
 +
==References==
 +
* Tortuga. The Columbia Gazetteer of North America, edited by Saul B. Cohen. New York: Columbia University Press, 2000. [http://www.bartleby.com/69/1/T05501.html] [accessed May 15, 2006].
 
[[Category: Places of the Haitian Revolution|Tortue, Ile de la]]
 
[[Category: Places of the Haitian Revolution|Tortue, Ile de la]]

Latest revision as of 09:20, 5 September 2006

Map of La Tortue and the area of Port-de-Paix.
Ile de la Tortue - (also La Tortue, Kreyòl: Totu; English: Tortuga Island - tortuga is Spanish for turtle; Spanish: Isla Tortuga) is located north of Port de Paix and belongs to Haiti. The island (20°04'N 72°49') off Haiti's North coast on the Atlantic Ocean is about 181 sq km (70 sq mi) in size.

Pirates active in the Caribbean Sea, started using the island as a base around 1600. In 1802, two years before the final victory of the Haitian revolution, many French fled to the island to escape the conflict and a yellow fever epidemic.

Together with Ille de la Gonave, La Tortue belongs to Haiti's main offshore territories, it is seperated from mainland Haiti by the Canal de la Tortue.

References

  • Tortuga. The Columbia Gazetteer of North America, edited by Saul B. Cohen. New York: Columbia University Press, 2000. [1] [accessed May 15, 2006].