Île de la Tortue

From TLP
Revision as of 16:37, 5 May 2006 by Doe (talk | contribs) (added map)

Jump to: navigation, search
Map of La Tortue and the area of Port-de-Paix.
Ile de la Tortue - (also La Tortue, English: Tortuga Island) (transl.Turtle Island) is located north of Port de Paix and belongs to Haiti. Pirates active in the Caribbean Sea, started using the island as a base around 1600. In 1802, two years before the final victory of the Haitian revolution, many French fled to the island to escape the conflict and a yellow fever epidemic.

Together with Ille de la Gonave, La Tortue belongs to Haiti's main offshore territories, it is seperated from mainland Haiti by the Canal de la Tortue.