Île de la Tortue
Revision as of 12:00, 15 May 2006 by Doe (name in Kreyòl)
Kreyòl: Totu; English: Tortuga Island) (transl.Turtle Island) is located north of Port de Paix and belongs to Haiti. Pirates active in the Caribbean Sea, started using the island as a base around 1600. In 1802, two years before the final victory of the Haitian revolution, many French fled to the island to escape the conflict and a yellow fever epidemic.
Together with Ille de la Gonave, La Tortue belongs to Haiti's main offshore territories, it is seperated from mainland Haiti by the Canal de la Tortue.