Île de la Tortue
Ile de la Tortue - also La Tortue (transl. Turtle Island) is located nort of Port de Paix and belongs to Haiti. Pirates active in the Caribbean, started using the island as a base around 1600. In 1802, two years before the final victory of the Haitian revolution, many French fled to the island to escape the conflict and a yellow fever epidemic.
Together with Ille de la Gonave, La Tortue belongs to Haiti's main offshore territories.