History of Jacmel
The city was created in 1698 as the capital of the south eastern part of the French colony Saint-Domingue.
The War of Knives
Toussaint Louverture fought over Jacmel in the so-called War of Knives between him and André Rigaud. This war began in June of 1799. By November the rebels were pushed back to this strategic southern port, the defence of which was commanded by Pétion. Jacmel fell to Toussaint's troops in March of 1800 and the rebellion was effectively over. Pétion and other mulatto leaders went into exile in France.
Francisco de Miranda creates the Venezuelan flag
A predecessor of Simón Bolívar in the liberation struggle from colonialism in Spanish ruled South America, Francisco de Miranda, created the first Venezuelan flag near Jacmel. Anchored in the Bay of Jacmel (Baie de Jacmel), he first raised the flag on March 12, 1806 on the Corvette Leander. This day is still celebrated as Venezuelan Flag Day.
The port town is internationally known for it's vibrant art scene and elegant townhouses dating to the 1800's. In recent years Jacmel has been host to a large film festival. It's carnival, the nearby Bassins Bleu (blue water pools), and the beaches attract many visitors.
- Wikipedia contributors (2006). Francisco de Miranda. Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 19:19, May 2, 2006 .
- Jacmel. The Columbia Gazetteer of North America, edited by Saul B. Cohen. New York: Columbia University Press, 2000. [accessed May 2, 2006] .
- Haiti Reference: Profil de la Ville de Jacmel. [accessed May 2, 2006] .
Books about Jacmel
- Danticat, Edwidge. (2002) After the Dance : A Walk Through Carnival in Jacmel, Haiti. New York: Crown Publishers (Random House). ISBN 0609609084.
- Haiti Reference: Profil de la Ville de Jacmel - Information about Jacmel [French text].
- Konbit Pou Ayiti - Konpay: The Center for Artistic Training of Jacmel (CFAJ) - Artist-directed art cooperative in Jacmel.
Magloire Ambroisse was one of the haitian heros of independance. Ambroise was an jacmelian general of the haitian revolutionary army. he was a good friend of president petion who he supported his decision to give help to francisco de Miranda to liberate Latin America.